Table of Contents
¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo, mis amigos! If you’ve seen all the Mexican flags around town, you know that San Jose takes this day pretty seriously.
The holiday honors Mexico’s victory over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, which became a symbol of resistance against foreign powers.
San Jose once held annual parades with crowds as large as 300,000, but since funding ran out in 2011, the community has found other ways to honor Mexican culture through lowrider shows, BBQs, and more. If you’re looking to join in, check out these local events celebrating Cinco de Mayo.
🎉 Community gatherings
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration | 6-9 p.m. | San Jose Harley-Davidson | Free entry | Enjoy a night of food + drinks, with festivities from Fishtailz Magazine + DJ Benjie.
- Quakes Cinco de Mayo | 6-9 p.m. | La Placita Tropicana | Free entry | An RSVP is required for this exclusive event — and don’t forget to come out for their Mexican Heritage Night this Saturday.
- VASC - Celebración del Cinco de Mayo 2022 | 2-7 p.m. | The Vietnamese American Service Center | Free entry | The center will offer resources, activities, gift bags, and more.
🎙️ Comedy events
- Cinco de Drinko, a Comedy Fiesta with Mex-E-King | 8 p.m. | San Jose Improv | $20-80 | This comedian + actor brings to the stage ventriloquism, magic, and his experience of being Mexican in Hollywood.
- Cinco de Mayo Comedy Night | 8-10:30 p.m. | Skewers N Brews | Free entry | Enjoy a full bar + a show featuring some of the best Bay Area comedians.
🎵 Live music + more
- Zona Rosa | 11 a.m.-9 p.m. | DJ Speed Lace turns it up — snag a reservation to be on the safe side.
- SP2 | 7 p.m. | Enjoy a live mariachi band with Mojo Pork Tacos + drink specials.
- Travesura Thursdays: Cinco de Mayo Pop Up | 10 p.m.-1:30 a.m. | Dance the night away to reggaeton + Latin music.