In a recent survey, San Jose ranked as the No. 9 most creative city in the US — and it’s no surprise. So today, we’re highlighting five San Jose + Bay Area creative spaces where you’re sure to get some hands-on inspiration, no matter your passion.
⚒️ Visual Philosophy Studio + School of Visual Philosophy | 1065 The Alameda
Whether you’re an established artist, or a novice looking to gain new skills — this two-pronged studio + education space has you covered.
- Classes: Painting, “Strike Night,” screen printing, and more
- Facilities: Print shop, hot shop, wood shop, private studios
- Membership: Starts at $225/month
🎥 CreaTV San Jose | 255 W. Julian St., Ste. 100
Lights, camera, action… Make a TV show that could be streamed to public access + web channels.
- Classes: Video production, studio crew basics, podcasting, and more
- Equipment: Field camera kits, studios, editing suites
- Membership: $25-50/year
🤖 Maker[Space]Ship | Locations vary
Let the makerspace come to you. The San Jose Public Library’s mobile bus is making stops around SJ to bring free STEAM programming to participants of all ages.
- Equipment: Laser cutters, robots, microscopes, and more
- Upcoming events:
- Thurs., Aug. 11, Doerr Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Wed., Aug. 17, Brigadoon Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Thurs., Aug. 18, Biebrach Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Fri., Aug. 19, St. James Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Mon., Aug. 22, Dove Hill Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Wed., Aug. 24, Hillview Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Thurs., Aug. 25, Cataldi Park, 6-8 p.m.
- Wed., Aug. 31, Tully Night Market, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
⚙️ Maker Nexus | 1330 Orleans Dr., Sunnyvale
Wanna make a guitar, table, or garage door sensor? Utilize this makerspace’s tools + entry level classes.
- Tools: 3D printers, vinyl printers + cutters, metal and wood lathes, CNC routers, and more
- Membership: Starts at $150/month
🔥 The Crucible | 1260 Seventh St., Oakland
This one might be worth the drive… This nonprofit offers the widest range of industrial arts + class formats that we’ve found.