Ready to meet your New Year’s resolution in San Jose? Don’t be nervous, we’re ranked No. 12 of 182 best US cities for keeping your 2023 resolutions. 💪
From finding more family time to getting your creative juices flowing, we have 17 local resolution recommendations below.
❤️ Spend more quality time with family
- Trivia Nights, locations vary | There’s always that film or TV show that you and your family can quote word-for-word... grab a brew and test your knowledge at local taprooms and bars.
- Happy Hollow Park & Zoo, 748 Story Rd. | Take advantage of the zoo’s community membership pass valid for four guests. Enjoy family time at discounted education programs, exclusive member events, and more.
- Local Tours, locations vary | The whole family can explore San Jose through history and art tours, or even bond through a scavenger hunt.
♻️ Shop sustainable
- The Source Zero, 87 N. San Pedro St., Ste. 105 | Get your soap refilled, shop biodegradable essentials, and take sustainability workshops to limit your plastic footprint.
- The LoWaste Life, locations vary | Catch this sustainable retailer at farmers markets and buy bamboo products, Mason jar accessories, and plastic-free goods — the first pop-up will be at the De Anza Flea Market on Saturday, Jan. 7.
- Thrift Stores, locations vary | Goodbye fast fashion. Upgrade your wardrobe with unique, gently-used clothing and give that vintage jacket a new home.
🎨 Nurture creativity
- Nirvana Soul After Dark, 315 S. First St. | Give your poetry, comedy, or music a go in front of an audience at the cafe’s Poetry Thursdays or Mixed Mic Fridays, 7-9 p.m.
- School of Visual Philosophy, 1065 The Alameda | We’ve tried our hand at blacksmithing, but the school’s workshops span from printmaking and sculpting, to welding and bladesmithing.
- Theatre Classes, 288 S. Second St. | Join San Jose Playhouse at 3Below Theaters every Wednesday for acting, singing, and tap basics, as well as makeup, costume, and lighting design. Classes begin Sunday, Jan. 18, through March 22.
👟 Get active
- Silicon Valley Roller Derby, 800 Embedded Way | Meet some rockin’ (and rollin’) women tomorrow at The Plex, 7-8 p.m., to learn about derby skating and how you can potentially make it your next sport.
- Zumba Classes, 2410 Senter Rd. | Improve your heart health, mood, and dance skills with the Vietnamese American Service Center’s free Saturday classes, from 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Lifted Movements, 3235 Stevens Creek Blvd. | Try out a strength or HIIT bootcamp class, or tune into a virtual training session to learn how you can meet your 2023 fitness goals. Also, check out other local classes to get you moving.
- Feeling extra committed? Challenge yourself to hike all 15 local trails we rounded up for you.
🌱 Go vegetarian, vegan, or plant-based
- From The Heart, virtual | Learn about plant-based meal-prepping from San Jose-based chef Rebeca, or try out one of her various prepared meal kits.
- Plant-based Cooking Demo, virtual | Follow Chef Isabelle Cnudde of La Cuisine de Clorofil to learn how you can easily replace dairy and eggs in your diet — the event is on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 5-6 p.m.
- Veggielution, 647 S. King Rd. | Grab a Veggie Voucher from Veggielution’s website to get fresh produce at its Saturday Farm Stand, and cook your own plant-based meals by following its Farm Box recipes.
- Eat local and plant-based at these 24 vegetarian and vegan restaurants.
What do you think of New Year’s resolutions? Let us know.