It’s the season of giving — and lucky for us, Sweetdragon Baking Company (898 Lincoln Ave.) has provided a slice of their seasonal favorite to try out yourself. 🥧
“Nothing is better than fresh apple pie in a butter crust.” owner Hway-Ling Hsu said. “Here’s our basic recipe for a nine-inch galette — which is a single-crust pie that requires no pie tin.”
🍎 Pie dough
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (or sub up to 1/4 c. whole wheat flour)
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, diced and frozen
- ¼ cup ice water
- Egg wash: 1 egg, beaten + a pinch of salt
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ to ⅜ c. sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
Pro tip: Get the best apples at one of these seven farmers markets around town. 🍎
🍎 Make the dough
- Add flour and salt to a food processor and blend to combine. Add the frozen butter and pulse until it’s in very small chips. Add the ice water and run the food processor until the dough forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on a floured piece of parchment to make a 12-inch round, then rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
🍎 Make the filling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all your filling ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
🍎 Make the galette
- Place the filling onto the middle of the dough, leaving a couple inches all around. Fold over the edges to enclose the fruit. If the dough has gotten warm, let the assembled galette chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Brush egg wash over the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake until the underside of the crust is golden.
- Let cool, then enjoy.